On the headstones and monuments of our cemeteries, we can see the familiar names of our streets, buildings, fire departments, and schools. Here are a few examples.
Charles Wolcott was 19th Century Industrialist who held an interest in the New York Rubber Company. He owned the estate known as “Roseneath”, located near the avenue named for him.
James V. Forrestal was the first Secretary of Defense. Forrestal School is named for him. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery, but his father, James Forrestal was well known in Beacon as a builder.
Lewis Tompkins owned the largest hat factories in Beacon. In 1886, he funded the Fire Company named after him: Lewis Tompkins Hose. He was originally buried in St. Luke’s, but was re-interred in Fishkill Rural Cemetery.
Willard Mase also owned hat factories in Beacon. Mase Hook and Ladder is named in his honor.
Charles Davies – was a Mathematician who taught at West Point and was known for his mathematics textbooks. His home was near Davies Terrace. Other family members are buried in St. Luke’s.
Alice Judson was an artist in the 1920s and 1930s. Her stone had toppled and was recently fixed by the Beacon Historical Society and the Beacon Arts Council.
Melio Bettina was the Light-Heavyweight Professional Boxing Champion in 1939 and in 1995 was inducted into the World Boxing Hall of Fame.
Henry Wintrhop Sargent was a Landscape Architect, philanthropist and the owner of Wodenethe, one of the most beautiful estates in the country. He designed the grounds of St. Luke’s.
William Denning purchased the land in 1785 and his wife named it “Presqu’ile” – almost an island, but most people know it as Denning’s Point. After the family left it became a brickyard; Denning’s Point Brick Works – DPBW bricks can be found in houses throughout Beacon.Today it is a state park.