The Names of Beacon

The Names of Beacon

On the headstones and monuments of our cemeteries, we can see the familiar names of our streets, buildings, fire departments, and schools. Here are a few examples.

Named for Charles Wolcott.

Named for Charles Wolcott.

Charles Wolcott was 19th Century Industrialist who held an interest in the New York Rubber Company. He owned the estate known as “Roseneath”, located near the avenue named for him.

Charles Wolcott

Charles Wolcott – he donated 6 acres to St. Luke’s for the new church.

James V. Forrestal was the first Secretary of Defense. Forrestal School is named for him. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery, but his father, James Forrestal was well known in Beacon as a builder.

James V. Forrestal is buried in Arlington National Cemetery, but family members are buried in Old St. Joachim's Cemetery

James V. Forrestal is buried in Arlington National Cemetery, but family members are buried in Old St. Joachim’s Cemetery

J. V. Forrestal School

J. V. Forrestal School

Lewis Tompkins owned the largest hat factories in Beacon. In 1886, he funded the Fire Company named after him: Lewis Tompkins Hose. He was originally buried in St. Luke’s, but was re-interred in Fishkill Rural Cemetery.

Lewis Tompkins Hose, now Hudson Beacon Glass

Lewis Tompkins Hose, now Hudson Beacon Glass

Tompkins family monument.

Tompkins family monument.

Lewis Tompkins was buried here, but re-interred in Fishkill Rural Cemetery.

Lewis Tompkins was buried in St. Luke’s, but later re-interred in Fishkill Rural Cemetery.

Mase Hook and Ladder 1914

Willard Mase also owned hat factories in Beacon. Mase Hook and Ladder is named in his honor.

Willard Mase founded Mase Hook and Ladder

Willard Mase founded Mase Hook and Ladder

Mase Street is named after Willard Mase.

Mase Street is named after Willard Mase.

Charles Davies –  was a Mathematician who taught at West Point and was known for his mathematics textbooks. His home was near Davies Terrace. Other family members are buried in St. Luke’s.

Charles Davies' gravestone has been repaired.

Charles Davies’ gravestone has been repaired.

Davies Avenue is named for Charles Davies.

Davies Avenue is named for Charles Davies.

Charles Davies. The cross had toppled from it's base.

Charles Davies. The cross had toppled from it’s base.

Alice Judson was an artist in the 1920s and 1930s. Her stone had toppled and was recently fixed by the Beacon Historical Society and the Beacon Arts Council.

Headstone had toppled and was fixed last year.

Headstone had toppled and was fixed last year.

Judson Street was named after Alice Judson's father, Roswell Judson.

Judson Street was named after Alice Judson’s father, Roswell Judson.

The Judson family gravestone.

The Judson family gravestone after repair.

Alice Judson and her sister Lenore.

Alice Judson and her sister Lenore.

Melio Bettina was the Light-Heavyweight Professional Boxing Champion in 1939 and in 1995 was inducted into the World Boxing Hall of Fame.

Melio Bettina is buried in St. Joachim, St. John the Evangelist Cemetery

Melio Bettina is buried in St. Joachim, St. John the Evangelist Cemetery

P1000560

Henry Wintrhop Sargent was a Landscape Architect, philanthropist and the owner of Wodenethe, one of the most beautiful estates in the country. He designed the grounds of St. Luke’s.

Henry Winthrop Sargent

Henry Winthrop Sargent

Named after Winthrop Sargent. The school is located on the grounds of Sargent's former estate, Wodenethe.

Named after Henry Winthrop Sargent.

William Denning purchased the land in 1785 and his wife named it “Presqu’ile” – almost an island, but most people know it as Denning’s Point. After the family left it became a brickyard; Denning’s Point Brick Works – DPBW bricks can be found in houses throughout Beacon.Today it is a state park.

Named after the Denning family who lived on

Denning Family Gravestone

Denning Family Gravestone

Denning's Point Brick Works

Denning’s Point Brick Works

Alice Judson – Artist

In the Presbyterian section of the cemetery at St. Luke’s Church there is a simple stone which is easily missed because it has toppled from its base.  The stone’s inscription reads,  “Alice Judson 1867-1948”

Headstone has toppled

The headstone has toppled

Alice Judson was an accomplished Beacon artist who specialized in landscapes of Dutchess County and seascapes of Gloucester, Massachusetts. In the 1920s and 1930s, when her fame was at its peak, Judson was considered by critics as one of America’s foremost women painters in marine studies.

Miss Judson received her training at the Art Students League in New York under the tutelage of John Henry Twachtman. She further perfected her craft with frequent trips to Europe in the early years of the twentieth century—primarily in Paris, France—all in all, studying art for 16 years in this country and abroad. Judson became an instructor at the Pittsburgh School of Art in the 1920s, and by the 1930s, she had frequent one-woman shows of her oils and watercolors in New York City galleries.

Older Beacon residents best remember seeing Alice Judson painting scenes of Fountain Square near her home on Leonard Street, or visiting her “Forge Studio” on Tioronda Avenue near the Howland Cultural Center to view one of her exhibits. Some of her best work was painted locally: paintings such as “The Pond at Gayhead,” “Haystacks at Glenham,” and “Lengthening Shadows” at Cold Spring.

 

Judson Street was named after Alice Judson's father, Roswell Judson.

Judson Street was named after Alice Judson’s father, Roswell Judson.

For the last 30 years of her life, she also maintained a studio in New York City at West 37th Street. Alice Judson died on April 3, 1948, and is buried at St.Luke’s Episcopal Church Cemetery in Beacon.

Alice Judson

Alice Judson

The Beacon Historical Society has several of her paintings and they are on display in the society’s office.

Self-portrait

Self-portrait

It will cost about $500.00 to repair Judson’s headstone. One of her paintings, “The Porch” is being raffled off to raise funds; you can purchase tickets at the Riverwinds Gallery or at the Beacon Historical Society. Tickets cost $5.00 for one ticket or three for $10.00.
The winning ticket will be pulled at a reception at Riverwinds on Saturday September 27, 2014.

A raffle will be held to raise funds to repair the headstone.

A raffle will be held to raise funds to repair the headstone.