The Methodist Cemetery was established about 1819 on property owned by the deWindt family who were early settlers in the area. This cemetery has some interesting stones, although many have fallen into disrepair. One is for the great granddaughter of John Adams, Caroline VanWagenen. There are also several stones for soldiers who fought in the Civil War, many of them clustered together near North Walnut Street.
When the cemetery was established it was divided into a free section, or potter’s field, and a paid section. Sometime after 1900, the free section was divided. One section is a private cemetery, but the name of the owner is unknown. The other section is owned and maintained by the City of Beacon.
See more cemetery listings in: Interments “Old Gravestones of Dutchess County, New York” by J. W. Poucher published in 1924, pages 110-117.