On the headstones and monuments of our cemeteries, we can see the familiar names of our streets, buildings, fire departments, and schools. Here are a few examples.
Named for Charles Wolcott.
Charles Wolcott was 19th Century Industrialist who held an interest in the New York Rubber Company. He owned the estate known as “Roseneath”, located near the avenue named for him.
Charles Wolcott – he donated 6 acres to St. Luke’s for the new church.
James V. Forrestal was the first Secretary of Defense. Forrestal School is named for him. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery, but his father, James Forrestal was well known in Beacon as a builder.
James V. Forrestal is buried in Arlington National Cemetery, but family members are buried in Old St. Joachim’s Cemetery
J. V. Forrestal School
Lewis Tompkins owned the largest hat factories in Beacon. In 1886, he funded the Fire Company named after him: Lewis Tompkins Hose. He was originally buried in St. Luke’s, but was re-interred in Fishkill Rural Cemetery.
Lewis Tompkins Hose, now Hudson Beacon Glass
Tompkins family monument.
Lewis Tompkins was buried in St. Luke’s, but later re-interred in Fishkill Rural Cemetery.
Willard Mase also owned hat factories in Beacon. Mase Hook and Ladder is named in his honor.
Willard Mase founded Mase Hook and Ladder
Mase Street is named after Willard Mase.
Charles Davies – was a Mathematician who taught at West Point and was known for his mathematics textbooks. His home was near Davies Terrace. Other family members are buried in St. Luke’s.
Charles Davies’ gravestone has been repaired.
Davies Avenue is named for Charles Davies.
Charles Davies. The cross had toppled from it’s base.
Alice Judson was an artist in the 1920s and 1930s. Her stone had toppled and was recently fixed by the Beacon Historical Society and the Beacon Arts Council.
Headstone had toppled and was fixed last year.
Judson Street was named after Alice Judson’s father, Roswell Judson.
The Judson family gravestone after repair.
Alice Judson and her sister Lenore.
Melio Bettina was the Light-Heavyweight Professional Boxing Champion in 1939 and in 1995 was inducted into the World Boxing Hall of Fame.
Melio Bettina is buried in St. Joachim, St. John the Evangelist Cemetery
Henry Wintrhop Sargent was a Landscape Architect, philanthropist and the owner of Wodenethe, one of the most beautiful estates in the country. He designed the grounds of St. Luke’s.
Henry Winthrop Sargent
Named after Henry Winthrop Sargent.
William Denning purchased the land in 1785 and his wife named it “Presqu’ile” – almost an island, but most people know it as Denning’s Point. After the family left it became a brickyard; Denning’s Point Brick Works – DPBW bricks can be found in houses throughout Beacon.Today it is a state park.
Denning Family Gravestone
Denning’s Point Brick Works