Memorial Day

img_3397

Fairview Cemetery

Decoration Day, on Tuesday, May 30th, though uncomfortably hot, was celebrated by the citizens of Matteawan and Fishkill Landing, who showed their patriotism and appreciation of the service rendered by the soldiers in putting down the great rebellion. The band from Newburgh arrived, accompanied by a delegation from Post Ellis of that city. They were met by the Denning Guards and Excelsior Fire Company No. 1, and marched to Matteawan, where they were received by a delegation from Post Howland, No. 48, G.A.R., and Protection Fire Company, No 3 of Matteawan.

The procession went to the Catholic Cemetery (Old St. Joachim’s) and then to the Protestant Episcopal Cemetery (St. Luke’s) and “beautiful flowers were strewn upon the graves”. Fishkill Standard, 1871

This was the first Memorial Day in what is now the City of Beacon, organized by the newly formed Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.).

This week Boy Scout Troops 41 and 1, Cub Scout Pack 3001, and the Beacon Historical Society placed flags on the graves of veterans buried in Beacon’s Cemeteries.

On Monday, May 30th, at 10:00 Beacon will hold it’s annual Memorial Day Parade on Main Street organized by American Legion Post 203.

William Wilson, first Beacon soldier killed in World War I

Old St. Joachim’s Cemetery – Grave of William Wilson

Troop 41 Boy Scout places flag on grave of Roman Norris, a Civil War soldier buried at the Methodist Cemetery

 

img_3468-1

A Cub Scout places a flag on the grave of Theodore Norris, a Civil War veteran buried in the Methodist Cemetery

St. Joachim – St. John Cemetery

img_3413

Fairview Cemetery – Soldier’s and Sailors’ Monument

St. Joachim-St. John Cemetery

St. Luke’s Cemetery – Spanish American War veteran

St. Luke’s Cemetery – Civil War soldier

 

St. Luke’s Cemetery – Daniel Annan, M.D. – War of 1812

Spencer DeFreese – Civil War veteran – African American Cemetery

Cemetery Committee, Beacon Historical Society at Old St. Joachim’s Cemetery

 

Advertisements
The Names of Beacon

The Names of Beacon

On the headstones and monuments of our cemeteries, we can see the familiar names of our streets, buildings, fire departments, and schools. Here are a few examples.

Named for Charles Wolcott.

Named for Charles Wolcott.

Charles Wolcott was 19th Century Industrialist who held an interest in the New York Rubber Company. He owned the estate known as “Roseneath”, located near the avenue named for him.

Charles Wolcott

Charles Wolcott – he donated 6 acres to St. Luke’s for the new church.

James V. Forrestal was the first Secretary of Defense. Forrestal School is named for him. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery, but his father, James Forrestal was well known in Beacon as a builder.

James V. Forrestal is buried in Arlington National Cemetery, but family members are buried in Old St. Joachim's Cemetery

James V. Forrestal is buried in Arlington National Cemetery, but family members are buried in Old St. Joachim’s Cemetery

J. V. Forrestal School

J. V. Forrestal School

Lewis Tompkins owned the largest hat factories in Beacon. In 1886, he funded the Fire Company named after him: Lewis Tompkins Hose. He was originally buried in St. Luke’s, but was re-interred in Fishkill Rural Cemetery.

Lewis Tompkins Hose, now Hudson Beacon Glass

Lewis Tompkins Hose, now Hudson Beacon Glass

Tompkins family monument.

Tompkins family monument.

Lewis Tompkins was buried here, but re-interred in Fishkill Rural Cemetery.

Lewis Tompkins was buried in St. Luke’s, but later re-interred in Fishkill Rural Cemetery.

Mase Hook and Ladder 1914

Willard Mase also owned hat factories in Beacon. Mase Hook and Ladder is named in his honor.

Willard Mase founded Mase Hook and Ladder

Willard Mase founded Mase Hook and Ladder

Mase Street is named after Willard Mase.

Mase Street is named after Willard Mase.

Charles Davies –  was a Mathematician who taught at West Point and was known for his mathematics textbooks. His home was near Davies Terrace. Other family members are buried in St. Luke’s.

Charles Davies' gravestone has been repaired.

Charles Davies’ gravestone has been repaired.

Davies Avenue is named for Charles Davies.

Davies Avenue is named for Charles Davies.

Charles Davies. The cross had toppled from it's base.

Charles Davies. The cross had toppled from it’s base.

Alice Judson was an artist in the 1920s and 1930s. Her stone had toppled and was recently fixed by the Beacon Historical Society and the Beacon Arts Council.

Headstone had toppled and was fixed last year.

Headstone had toppled and was fixed last year.

Judson Street was named after Alice Judson's father, Roswell Judson.

Judson Street was named after Alice Judson’s father, Roswell Judson.

The Judson family gravestone.

The Judson family gravestone after repair.

Alice Judson and her sister Lenore.

Alice Judson and her sister Lenore.

Melio Bettina was the Light-Heavyweight Professional Boxing Champion in 1939 and in 1995 was inducted into the World Boxing Hall of Fame.

Melio Bettina is buried in St. Joachim, St. John the Evangelist Cemetery

Melio Bettina is buried in St. Joachim, St. John the Evangelist Cemetery

P1000560

Henry Wintrhop Sargent was a Landscape Architect, philanthropist and the owner of Wodenethe, one of the most beautiful estates in the country. He designed the grounds of St. Luke’s.

Henry Winthrop Sargent

Henry Winthrop Sargent

Named after Winthrop Sargent. The school is located on the grounds of Sargent's former estate, Wodenethe.

Named after Henry Winthrop Sargent.

William Denning purchased the land in 1785 and his wife named it “Presqu’ile” – almost an island, but most people know it as Denning’s Point. After the family left it became a brickyard; Denning’s Point Brick Works – DPBW bricks can be found in houses throughout Beacon.Today it is a state park.

Named after the Denning family who lived on

Denning Family Gravestone

Denning Family Gravestone

Denning's Point Brick Works

Denning’s Point Brick Works